When faced with a reinsurance dispute, you want attorneys who understand your problems and how to solve them. The Larson • King reinsurance team has the knowledge and experience to meet these needs.
On behalf of clients based in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Japan, and elsewhere, we have litigated reinsurance matters to final resolution before numerous arbitration panels and in courts around the world. Because we represent the interests of both cedents and reinsurers, we appreciate the motivations and objectives of both parties to a reinsurance dispute. Moreover, given our firm’s background in defending liability claims and handling direct insurance coverage litigation, we bring a unique perspective to the issues that underlie a reinsurance dispute.
Our work has encompassed cases involving the most critical issues in the reinsurance industry, examples of which include:
- Obtaining an arbitration award confirming a retrocedent’s right to tens of millions of dollars from London market retrocessionaires in connection with asbestos products claims.
- Representing a reinsurer in successfully challenging a cedent’s attempt to aggregate as a single occurrence over half a billion dollars in asbestos products and non-products claims.
- Collecting millions of dollars from reinsurers on behalf of the captive insurer of a Fortune 500 company that was subject to silicone breast implant claims.
- Obtaining summary judgment from an arbitration panel holding that reinsurers were not responsible for millions of dollars claimed by a cedent in connection with an accident, life, and health program.
- Representing a cedent through two successful arbitration hearings that allowed it to collect over $100 million from a Bermuda captive reinsurer.
- Obtaining a voluntary dismissal by a cedent, as well as the payment of attorney fees and costs, on behalf of a reinsurer that was subject to claims under a common account program.
- Representing a cedent in recovering millions of dollars from reinsurers for property damage and business interruption claims relating to a manufacturing facility in Spain.
From the experience gained in these and other reinsurance matters, we understand the disputed issues you are confronting as well as the business considerations that bear on the resolution of those issues. Whether your goal is to reach an expeditious settlement or to vindicate a position through litigation, the Larson • King reinsurance team is fully prepared and ideally situated to help you achieve the right result.